SOCIAL ANGST is more than just a blog, it is an invitation to aid in the building of wealth through the shared task of information distribution and discussion. It is a call to engage – engage in society, engage with your peers, engage in your political system, engage in spreading the wealth that is information, and engage in multiplying that wealth through discussion – so that collectively we may become more socially aware, more socially responsible, more socially vocal and ultimately more socially valuable.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Around The Web: Knitta, Please...Really...?

Sooooo I don't knit (though I'd like to learn) and perhaps this is why the Knitta, Please branding of the scarf producing hobby is news to me.  While I admire the clever nature of the brand tagline, I'm not oblivious to the racial subtext.  Is it racist?  I suppose that is the question.  Alexis over at onegrandhome.wordpress.com thinks it is.  As for me, I'm on the fence.  Had this been the brainchild of Dave Chappelle (think rogue knitting vigilantes slick talking to one another) I think I'd lean towards comedy.  Seeing the aged model to the left wearing the shirt though, well that's a little less funny.

Unfortunately, part of the problem with screaming racism at every turn is the appearance of non-objectivity.  On the other hand, not calling a spade a spade is equally as dangerous.  My truthful feelings - you make your bed, you lay in it.  Black people made the phrase "Nigga, please" into a staple of hood colloquialism, seems a tad sensitive to get upset with the marketing genius who has parlayed the phrase into knitting gold.

File this under reason 1,379 to stop socializing the N word.  Chuck deuces my knitta, I'm out.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl