SOCIAL ANGST is more than just a blog, it is an invitation to aid in the building of wealth through the shared task of information distribution and discussion. It is a call to engage – engage in society, engage with your peers, engage in your political system, engage in spreading the wealth that is information, and engage in multiplying that wealth through discussion – so that collectively we may become more socially aware, more socially responsible, more socially vocal and ultimately more socially valuable.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Racism? You Decide.
AZ Rep. Trent Franks: Slavery Policies Better Than Present Policies for Blacks

Open mouth.  Insert Foot.

I want to send a big Social Angst shout out to Hello Negro for shedding light on this story.  In an interview with blogger Mike Starks, Arizona Republican Rep. Trent Franks made the following incendiary statement:
FRANK: In this country, we had slavery for God knows how long. And now we look back on it and we say “How brave were they? What was the matter with them? You know, I can’t believe, you know, four million slaves. This is incredible.” And we’re right, we’re right. We should look back on that with criticism. It is a crushing mark on America’s soul. And yet today, half of all black children are aborted. Half of all black children are aborted. Far more of the African-American community is being devastated by the policies of today than were being devastated by policies of slavery. And I think, What does it take to get us to wake up?
Hmmm.   Now I know people are going to fault me for this, but the statement, taken in context, doesn't appear to be overtly racist.  I will readily admit that there was a more tactful, less inflammatory way to make his point.  However, I think it is disingenuous to propagate that his message implies Blacks were better off as slaves.  Instead, what I get from his commentary is that hindsight is 20/20.  Looking back at slavery everyone can see how devastatingly wrong it was.  Yet it wasn't so obvious then (in his mind anyway).  I believe that what he is saying is that in the present, we are unable to see how destructive our current political policies are to Black Americans.

Of course, I don't agree with Rep. Franks.  In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that he isn't the greatest champion of diversity. But that said, I don't think his comments were overtly racist.  I have to call them like I see them folks. 

Anyway, make sure to check out Hello Negro for a differing opinion and the video of Frank making the statement.  Then, go ahead and decide for yourself.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl